Who says vegans can’t enjoy French Toast? This recipe proves that you don’t need eggs to create this scrumptious breakfast treat. Enjoy!
Makes 6 servings
- 1½ cups soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 6 slices of french bread cut into ¾” slices
- 2 ripe bananas (sliced)
- 1 pint + 1 cup strawberries
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (extra for dusting)
- Earth Balance margarine as needed for frying
- In a medium bowl mix the soy milk, flour, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and sugar until well blended and foamy. Pour mixture into a cake pan and soak sliced bread in the batter.
- Heat the Earth Balance in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Fry each slice of batter covered bread until golden brown.
- Place 1 cup of sliced strawberries and ¼ cup powdered sugar in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Pour strawberry mixture into a small pot and cook over lo-heat until warm. Remove from burner and mix in ¼ cup maple syrup.
- Set bread on serving plate and top with fresh sliced strawberries and bananas. Drizzle with the strawberry and maple syrup sauce. Top with a light dusting of powdered sugar.