Recipe: ‘Chicken’ Tikka Masala – Vegan Style
Summary: My all time favorite Indian dish – Chicken Tikka Masala. Since my vegan conversion, this is one meal I surely thought, I’d never have again. Thanks to the folks at Gardein, their ‘chicken scallopini’ makes this carnivorous dish, 100% vegan friendly!
- 1 bag of Gardein Chicken Scallopini Breasts
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground red pepper
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 6 bamboo skewers
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk (can substitute lite)
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Chop ‘chicken’ into 1″ cubes. Mix all marinade ingredients together and add the cubed Gardein chicken. Marinate for about 1 hour.
- Soak bamboo skewers in warm water while preparing sauce.
- For sauce, melt ‘butter’ on medium heat until melted.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in coriander, cumin, paprika, garam masala and salt.
- Stir in tomato sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add peas and stir in coconut milk. Simmer on low heat (stirring often) while preparing the Gardein chicken.
- Thread Gardein chicken onto skewers and discard marinade.
- Broil Gardein chicken, turning occasionally, to cook through for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove Gardein chicken from skewers and add to sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with Basmati or Jasmine rice.
Cooking time (duration): 90 Diet type: Vegan Diet (other): Reduced fat Number of servings (yield): 6 Meal type: dinner Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern) My rating: stars: ★★★★★ Copyright © Vegan Hogg 2010. Microformatting by hRecipe.